Friday, January 06, 2006


"impression of a volcano"

I was at Newtown today, wandering round aimlessly amongst the subcontinental artifacts.

I went into fiji markets and looked at all the indian spices and lentils, purple silks and such... i thought i better look busy and picked up abag of lentils and started to read the import details..ingredients "red lentils" hmm and these weird squiggly lines. Next to me appeared a tiny indian woman in her tumeric-coloured sari moving bags of lentils round so i thought .. an employee...so i asked "do you know what this says? she looks at the packet...then looks at me.. then looks at the packet "what do you think i am? some bangladeshy bitch?? and walks off!!!

I walked round for a little while longer.. amongst the mini-boxes of spice powder and indian videos and hindu deities and little indian girls wearing pink dresses with white lace edging.
What's with that.

Standing at the check out. behind several indian families i was ushered by an indian man "how was your day today"
what? what? i started tapping my ears.. what??
all i heard was an irish accent.

An indian guy with an irish accent, his mother was perched on high-chair next to him in the tumeric sari.

2 comments:

peter said...

hilarious, snarly old ladies, hehe :)

b said...

they're fabulous. still, can you post something else - she's freaking me out.